Friday, 20 May 2011

Friday Fun with SammyJo Hunt

I have a very special guest on my blog today. SammyJo Hunt is a wonderful friend of mine and I have a personal interest in A Wicked Encounter, as she goes onto explain.

Welcome to Friday Fun, SammyJo.

1.      1.   What is a typical day like for you?  A typical day includes a bit of writing, and a lot of research and homework for grad school. As much as I wish it were the other way around, school still comes first, even though I'd much prefer to write and get lost in my romantic fantasies and stories. I live alone with my cat, and besides taking care of him, or running across town to help my aging mother, I'm pretty much on my own to write and do homework. Work at present is writing romance stories. I'm sort of married to my computer and live online for both school and work. Writing has become a secondary career for me for the past couple of years now while I've been in graduate school, and requires dedication and commitment to follow through on the projects and stories I start. Nevertheless, its a creative outlet for me away from clinical therapy and textbooks, and I love that I can feel so passionate and inspired about writing hot romantic stories.

2.  What inspired you to write your latest book?  LOL! You know the answer to this question as well as I do, Miss Sue. We were having a discussion on plot suggestions during the summer of 2010 and you said to me, “How about coach sex in a storm?” It’s really quite amusing, because with you being from the UK and me from the USA, I interpreted your suggestion to mean exactly that, a sexual encounter between two hot men in a stage coach from the 1800s.

After talking further, you clarified to me you meant an encounter on a bus or a traveling motor coach. It was just the difference in the two dialects native to our countries. But by then, the idea was already firmly in my mind and the plot was expanding like wildfire. I couldn’t get it out of my head, and the story was already taking shape.

I was already picturing a stormy night on a lone road in the middle of the English countryside in the dark of night, an accident, and a smaller, handsome aristocratic man being injured and then rescued by a larger, dark, handsome man of imposing stature. That’s how Christopher’s character was born. As I wrote the first scene, when Evan appeared after the accident, he was just very clearly there in my mind’s eye. He was tall, with long, raven-black hair, and piercing blue eyes. It all just fell into place after that, and their hot romance kick-started what turned out to be an epic tale of love and forgiveness. I loved writing this story and hope to one day write more Regency-style romances.

3.       How did you feel when you saw your first acceptance letter?  It was totally surreal and it made me feel all tingly with excitement. I might have squealed out loud in a fit of momentary giddiness, LOL! It was and is a marvelous feeling to know my writing is good enough to merit publishing.

4.       What do you love and hate most about writing? I love the free license to be creative, and to bring to life with words the visions and stories which unfold in my head. I love communicating that world to my readers, where those who read my stories can escape somewhere else for a little while. As far as what I hate about it, I don't really hate anything about the writing process. Its all very interesting and fascinating to me, as well as comes easily to me. Perhaps the one thing I dislike the most is an equal weight shared between those times when I get writers block and can't move forward in a story until I solve some issue or dilemma; and then too, I dislike the editing process. I don't think there's a writer alive that enjoys editing his or her work. *grins*


5.       Do you have a ritual to get you ready to write?  Something special you do to psyche you up? No. I just sit down and once an idea is in my head I just start writing. The story usually flows easily and quickly. I like that. Occasionally, when I need clarity, I’ll write down a brief outline to give me direction, but usually, everything is just right there in my head.
6.       How do you get past writer’s block?  When I get stalled, I usually just give it a rest until the words begin flowing again. It happens to all of us now and then. I’m definitely no exception to that experience. Usually, I just take time away for a few hours or even give writing a rest for a few days. When the words come back and the ideas begin to flow, I sit down and get busy again. Its an interesting process how that whole 'flow of ideas' thing seems to work for me.

7.       Do you have a pet?  Yes, as I mentioned earlier, I have one cat, a male, gray striped Tabby. His name is Bugg. I gave him that name because he is the most vocal animal I've ever had. He talks to me all the time in cat language. Sometimes he drives me crazy with his meowing. He's actually the smartest of all the cats I've owned. I've had a cat of my own ever since I was 7 years old and have never been without a pet. I'm a cat person. I like small dogs, but cats are much less work. So I gravitate towards them. Also, cats, though they make noise, don't bark! LOL! So yes, he's a great buddy and keeps me company. He's got a sweet personality that makes his incessant talking worth putting up with. *giggles* Sometimes, if it weren't for him talking to me, I'd never say anything living alone. So its good he's there to keep me on my toes.

8.      What is your writing process like?  How long does it take you to finish a story from beginning to end? As I mentioned before, once I have an idea firmly in my head, I sit down and start writing. The story just comes to me as the characters and events unfold inside my head. On occasion, I do have a brainstorming session with someone such as yourself, or another close friend who either writes or enjoys reading the same genre I write. That's often helpful to spur ideas for a new story. 


      Aside from the actual conceptualization of the story, writing each new story is different for me. Sometimes a story comes so quickly that it nearly seems to write itself. I wrote an entire 71,000 word novel in under 4 weeks last year. Then there are other times when it takes a month just to write 20,000 words because of writer's block and the like. It really just depends upon the story and what its about, as to how well and quickly it unfolds. It also has to do with time available to write. With being in school, that also takes up a good deal of my time.



9.      What currents projects do you have on the go?
Currently, I’m celebrating my first book release for A Wicked Encounter released through Silver Publishing. It’s a m/m erotic Regency-historical romance. You can find it on Silver’s website, Amazon.com, Goodreads.com, and other well-known romance eBook sites. I've provided some links at the end of this interview.

In addition to that, I’m now under contract for two new books. The first is another novel with Rebel Ink Press. It’s due out on or before Sept. 1st this year, and is entitled Haunted by Obsession. It’s a contemporary, m/m paranormal erotic ghost story and murder mystery. I’ve always loved nostalgic old ghost stories, and just had to write one with a hot, m/m twist on it.

The other project I’m really honored and excited to be working on is the anthology which you are also a part of, entitled Chasing The Dream. This will be published through my first house, Silver Publishing, and is a joint project with yourself and several other amazing writers. This book will include short stories from Patricia Logan, Lisa Worrall, GA Hauser, and you and me. The five of us have contracted with Silver to each write a m/m short story of some sort following the theme of the title.

I’ve already written mine, and have been privy to both Patricia’s and GA’s stories. They are fantastically hot. I can’t wait to see how readers like this new book. The scheduled release date for our full length novel of compiled stories will be Sept. 17th this fall. That book will be available in both eBook and print copy formats, and will actually be my first printed book. I’m so excited and pleased to be part of this project, and cannot wait to hold the finished product in my hands. So, in regards to both books, as well as two other writing projects currently in the works, I’ll keep you updated as things progress.


10.  Tell me about your ideal man – for your books of course.  For most of my stories, there is a common theme which tends to reoccur. My main male character is always tall, lean, beautifully sculpted in the physical sense, but not muscle-bound, and has jet-black hair and piercing blue eyes. There are several famous men in real life which I identify with, which all have those similar characteristics. In addition to physical looks and a strong, very dominant, alpha-male presence, my main character is always someone who has a great capacity to love his partner, is noble and honest, and at the heart, a very good man.

      He's someone I'd want to have in my own life personified through my stories, if I ever found the man of my dreams. He's someone that's not perfect, has a tendency to react in anger, but willing to apologize for his follies. That to me, is an ideal man:  someone who behaves realistically. And of course, he's always a very passionate man, sure of himself, what he wants, and a capable,  tender, yet intense lover. I think many of us are searching for just that man or that partner in our own lives. So, until I, and all my readers find him or her, I'll write stories about someone that resembles what our collective hearts are searching for.

Please provide me with links to find you and your books (Publisher/ARe and Kindle. Plus lovely big cover photo for me to put on my blog.


If you’d like to purchase your own eBook copy, go here to buy:

You can find SammyJo Hunt at the following websites:
Personal Website and Blog address-  http://sammyjohunt.livejournal.com



...

12 comments:

  1. Yay Sammy! :)

    What a great interview and I loved the book!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great interview Sammy Jo. I will keep my eye out for that tall dark stranger you're looking for and give him your number if I run into him. I'm looking forward to reading another great book when Haunted Obsession comes out. Great book cover!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great interview. Really enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rawiya:

    Thank you so much! I'm so glad you enjoyed them both. I really appreciate you stopping by to visit!

    Hugs,
    Sam

    ------------------------------------------------

    Patricia:

    Thank you for stopping in to say Hi! Great to see you here. I appreciate your support. And I most certainly would love it if you'd send that hot guy my way, LOL! And yes, I love the newest book cover too.

    Hugs,
    Sam

    ------------------------------------------------

    Cmtorrens:

    Thank you so much for stopping in today! I appreciate your comments and hope you'll check out the books.

    Best wishes,
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Sammy,
    It was nice to learn more about my fellow authors. I definitely have Haunted Obsession on my wish list to grab when it's available. Sounds really good.

    Raine Delight

    ReplyDelete
  6. Raine Delight:

    Thank you! Glad you enjoyed the interview. I hope you enjoy the book when its out. Its one of my favorite stories I've written. I love ghost stories!

    Thanks for stopping by to visit!

    Hugs,
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks phoenixemrys! I'm pleased you enjoyed it. Thanks so much for stopping by.

    Hugs,
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow! Sounds like you're keeping busy.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Eden:

    Yes, most definitely! :D I'm very excited. And I also have another short story (12,000 wds) that's going to be part of another anthology with Rebel. in the fall. I'm very excited.

    So, lots of good things happening. Thanks so much for stopping in!

    Hugs,
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great interview. I loved A Wicked Encounter, and am thoroughly excited for Haunted By Obsession. Thanks for sharing your thoughts with us today.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Reoracer (Jen):

    Thanks so much for stopping in. Great to see you here. Glad you enjoyed the interview. I really appreciate your continued friendship. You've been a wonderful support. And yes, I'm very excited for the new books coming out. Its going to be fun!

    Hugs & many thanks,
    Sam

    ReplyDelete