Friday, 10 June 2011

Welcome to John Goode

I have one of my best friends on my blog today. John has the ability to take my breath away with his writing about the stresses young gay males face at school. Watch this man *nods*.



How did you get started writing? 

I read SE Hinton's Outsiders and knew instantly that either she had known these people or was a God and made them up. I wanted to be a God.

Was there a particular author or book that made you decide you wanted to write in the genre? 

 If so, who or what was it? SE Hinton's stuff of course but the real moment where I knew writing was more than putting a pen on paper was Douglas Adams. He had a way of crafting words together that transcended the written word. It was as if he was weaving this insane spell with just common everyday words and you just had to fall in love with it.

Where do you write? Does your environment have an impact on what or how you write? 

I work graveyards so I have eight hours of quiet time to write every night. I find it soothing because the analytical part of mind is keeping track of my actual job while the rest of me is free and write without logic looking over our shoulder.

What do you love most about writing?  What do you hate about it? 

 I love making a feeling like people make houses. Brick by brick the words go up, surround you, embrace you. The way a sentence falls, the cadence of the speech, the moment of revelation. I love looking around and realizing that I made this house and that others will live here one day too.

I hate it when a character refuses to stop bugging me about writing their story even if I have something else to write. So rude.

How did you come up with the title?  

It is a line from the book the editor actually pointed out. Much smarter than anything I had in mind.

Can you tell us about your main character? 

Kyle is an old friend of mine. Every story I have ever written has a Kyle in it somewhere. He is a quiet, reserved boy who feels like an alien on his own planet. That sense of disconnect with everything people think is so easy makes him feel left out of the whole process and pushes him forward to try so much more. He really is a great guy.

How did you develop your plot and characters? 

I come from the Neil Gaiman school of thought. I am simply an archaeologist setting out across the vast desert of inspiration, looking for lost tales that long to be told. I dust them off, listen to their words and then try my best to bring it to the rest of the world. When I am done the stories and characters go back for someone else to find someday,

What are you working on at the moment? 

A sci fi/Supernatural thriller called Virtual Inheritance which is about a family legacy involving a computer system that is somehow linked to Hell and the strange guardian that protects him from it. Also a college basketball story called Fadeaway about closeted college basketball player who falls in love with the perfect boy and has to decide which life he wants to keep.

To date, what has been the best advice or words of encouragement you've received? 

Keep writing. It was from you by the way. :)

What are three things about you that would surprise your fans? 

I talk to my characters far too much. I am far less verbose in person. And that for a man who writes a lot about love, has a pretty different opinion on it.

Where can we find you on the web?

 http://www.fosterhigh.blogspot.com/ is my website for Kyle and Brad and I am on Goodreads also though I don't have anything in there yet.


Author bio: 

John Goode was found in the back of a garden shed originally, and lured out by candy, he was raised on Elm Street before moving due to a rare sleep disorder. After taking off with a few friends to find a dead body, he attended Sherman High School majoring in absenteeism. Dropping out of college to work at the Gap, he struggled on perfecting his karaoke version of "Conjunction Junction" before moving on. He worked several odd jobs, first as a clerk at a record store that was open till midnight, moving to garbage collector with his brother, and then he finally decided on being a convenience store clerk who complained a lot that he wasn't even supposed to be there that particular day. He lives with a talking cartoon dog or cat or three squirrels and has possibly ingested far too much pop culture over the years.

Or he is this guy who lives in this place and writes stuff he hopes you read. John discovered M/M erotica when he heard himself describing what he had done the previous night.

Excerpt:

I don't remember the moment I knew I was broken.
I was seventeen and on the edge of an eighteen that seemed terrifying to a young man not sure what his sexuality was going to be. I knew I liked guys but was still under the delusion that an attraction to guys didn't make you gay just like drowning didn't mean you were breathing water. It just made you different and as we all know, in high school there is nothing worse than being different. Though every TV show or movie will tell you the wacky, zany, oddball character is not only cool but a necessary component in most social settings no one ever closed their eyes and wished they ended up being Screech. 
I never assumed I was broken coming from a single parent family that consisted of a mom who spent more time drinking and partying than being an actual parent, not that I had any idea what an actual parent looked liked. Again pop culture had taught me that a mom was either baking pies in pearls and heels, xanax  smile pasted to her face like a post modern zombie or the spunky single lady who worked hard and never seemed to secure herself a real romantic entanglement. My mom was neither of those and the concept of a dad was about as familiar to me as walking on the moon would be.
 I was emotionally retarded in a way that made connecting with another human being so daunting a task that even considering it could cause my heart to race and my breath to stop altogether at times. Since junior high boys had made me feel funny and not in a laughing sort of way. That clumsy, all feet and no balance stutter that most teenage boys feel towards girls I would get in the locker room. Let me assure you no one sounds slick stuttering like they are having a seizure. All sound would drain away as my vision would pinpoint on the boy next to me as he slipped out of his jeans. More than once I had find myself forcing my eyes to look away and to finish dressing out for P.E.
By the time I had started high school I had constructed a virtual igloo of emotional distance between me and everyone else. I projected a coldness that boarded on snobbery, I was the guy everyone knew of but no one could recall talking to personally. I imagined myself an urban legend of Foster High school, like Sasquatch or a chupacabra. Everyone had a friend who had seen me talking to someone but no one had ever talked to me directly. I was a ghost wandering the halls, head down, backpack over one shoulder, eyes focused on where my next step would take me and nothing more. In a social environment where being cool and liked were currency, I was monk who had taken a vow of poverty which then necessitated a vow of celibacy. I sidestepped conversations, ate lunch by myself and practically ran home after school.
I didn't know it but I was broken in a way that wasn't readily evident to those around me.
As anyone who has read comic books knows, when one sense is taken from you the others become almost superman, allowing you the ability to get by in life the best you possibly can. Since I was completely and utterly devoid of any knowledge of how emotions worked for other people my mind had taken the unused space and used it to amplify what book smarts I already possessed to a Rain Man level of intellect. I was the person who never needed to study, never needed to read anything more than once and always finished his test first. I am sure in some alternative universe there was a high school that found possessing a vast array of useless knowledge to be a badge of notoriety that would have garnered me some kind of social credit. Alas I was not born there. Instead my brain made me a nerd at worst, at best the quiet, smart guy who never seemed to look up when he walked.
I think that's why I never saw him coming.



1 comment:

  1. Great interview.

    I look forward to having you on mine in July!

    Congrats on the first release.

    SLira aka Michael M

    ReplyDelete