Thursday, 15 September 2011

Welcome to DC Juris: Things I'm Glad I Learned

I love having guests on my blog and DC Juris just happens to be one of my favourites. He's had a hard road to follow and having him here means a lot to me. Daniel's got a book out today, Relearning the Ropes, and the blurb and excerpts are below.

So in Daniel's own words...


Things I'm Glad I Learned by DC Juris

Hi folks! DC Juris here. I'll be your guest host for today. For those of you who don't know me, I'm a transgender fella who writes GLBTQ and heterosexual romance, but mostly m/m.

As some of you know, my childhood was rough. I was mentally, physically, and sexually abused from about the age of five until around sixteen. Last year, I wrote a memoir type story for an anthology with an "It Gets Better" theme. My contribution was declined, so I made it available as a free pdf on my website.

It's made its way around to a few people, and I've gotten wonderful, heartfelt e-mails and comments of support. One person asked me recently if I didn't wish I could go back in time and change everything, so I'd never have to had endured what I did.

On the outside, this seems like an easy answer. Erase nearly eleven years of torture? Who wouldn't jump at that? Only a crazy man would say no, right?

Well…::grins:: Call me crazy.

You see, I learned a lot from what I went through, and I'm not sure I'd know these things otherwise.

I learned on person's smile can change your entire day. No matter what had happened to me the night before, or the morning of, I always looked forward to mornings before class in junior and senior high school, because it meant seeing my friend Jenifer. She always had a smile for me, was always happy to see me, and I always knew that, no matter what, I made a difference in her life. Even if I couldn't make a difference in my own.

I learned words have power. That's one of those double-edged-sword type of lessons. Early on, I discovered my father's ability to wound me with the nasty, hateful things he said. But I learned later in life, when a friend's mother literally talked me out of suicide, that words could heal and help as well. Words could save lives.

I learned you don't need what you think you need to survive. I'm not talking about comfortable living, here, but basic survival. Lots of things that people say they "couldn't live without" are of no importance when you're just trying to live. I've lived without electricity, without hot running water, and without a working toilet in my home. I've lived in mold-infested squalor. I've shared spaces with mice, rats, cockroaches, and snakes.

I learned that logic is a powerful tool. At times, it was the only tool I had to wield. No matter how unbalanced my father was, logic always confounded him and made him see the other person's side. I honed an ability to use reasoning and logic to sometimes get what I wanted, and it's a skill I still use today.

To the everyday person, these lessons might seem like common sense. You'd be surprised, though, how many people don't understand such concepts. You'd be surprised how many people walk through their lives with blinders on, oblivious to the suffering of those around them. Trust me on that one.

And a normal person would probably figure they could come by all this knowledge without going through what I went through, but I'm not so certain. The bigger point is – I like who I am today. If what I dealt with got me here, then I wouldn't change a thing.

Well, that's not true. I'd change the outcome of the 1996 Super Bowl. Go Steelers!! 



Blurb:

When his good friend Julius dies unexpectedly, Marcus finds himself saddled with a new submissive--Charlie. But Charlie comes with a history, and more than Marcus has ever experienced. Marcus knows he loves Charlie, and Charlie loves him, but Marcus must set aside his old theories about BDSM and relearn the ropes if he wants to be the Dom--and the lover--they both need him to be.



Excerpt:

Charlie nodded, his shoulders sagged. "I'll go, of course, if you wish it. I won't defy you."

Of course he wouldn't. Not a question of Charlie's loyalty to Marcus, but of Marcus' to Charlie. How far did he think he could push his new sub? How far did he want to? "Are you asking me to go with you?"

"I would prefer it." Though the words came out as a mumble, and Charlie refused to look at Marcus.

"I thought you wanted to remain in the closet at work." Julius had been able to manage his attraction for Charlie. Had been able to disguise it, and vice versa. Charlie got rock hard when Marcus simply smiled at him, a predicament to which Marcus couldn't claim complete immunity.

"I will control myself." Charlie raised his head, but quickly looked away again.

Marcus chuckled softly and reached over to cup Charlie's cheek, turning his face up so their gazes met. "You are incapable of looking at me with anything other than love and lust in your eyes. One glance between us and your secret will be out."

Charlie smiled softly. "There is that."

"Man-to-man, Charlie. Are you that afraid to go?"

"Yes." Just a whisper past his lips, and he closed his eyes tightly, a slight tremor running through him. "I'm terrified. I can't do these things alone. Julius was always there. He watched out for me. He knew" Charlie's breathing hitched up a notch.

"I know." Marcus pressed a kiss to Charlie's forehead.

"I miss him."

"Me too." He wiped a tear from Charlie's cheek, smiling at the way Charlie pressed his face against the touch and leaned into it. Perhaps man-to-man needed to mean something bigger. The sub in Charlie needed to be dominatedprotected. But what if the man in him just needed comfort and support? "I'll go with you to the party. And while we're there? While you're trying not to dwell on how much you dont want to be there? I want you to think about what you'd like to do tonight, when we come back."

Author bio:

A Southern transplant who has retained none of his accent but all of his charm, DC Juris is an out and proud transgender bisexual living in Upstate New York with his husband, four dogs, three cats, and a menagerie of Halloween props just creepy enough to keep people guessing about his sanity. He's still hopelessly single when it comes to the woman in his life, and he'll gladly entertain offers or applications for the position! In the rare event that he's not writing, DC can be found surfing the internet for random research, killing things on his Xbox, reading, taking pictures of the world around him, or playing Farmville, to which he admits a complete and totally blissful addiction. You can keep up with him at www.facebook.com/dcjuris, or www.dcjuris.com


Thanks for blogging today, Daniel. I wish you all the best with your new book. 


6 comments:

  1. Thanks for having me, hon! And for that lovely intro. I really do appreciate the support!! :-) ::hugs::

    ReplyDelete
  2. Steelers????
    And to think, I liked you. =)

    Seriously, Daniel's a class act and a heck of a writer.
    Nice post. Enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post DC. And the book looks like a great read.

    Adding to my TBR!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't wait to read this one.

    Lovely post Daniel. *hugs*

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOL DA - I like the Bears, too! Does that redeem me?? Thanks very much for stopping by, and for such kind words! Wait...you're not a Patriots fan, are you????

    Rawiya - Thanks for stopping by! You'll have to let me know what you think of my lil story!

    ReplyDelete