Wednesday, 12 October 2011

Welcome to Lila Munro

*waves* Hi, Lila and welcome to my blog.


When and why did you begin writing?
I’ve always known that on some level from the time I could say the ABC’s and I memorized The Little Red Hen. At that point I couldn’t write down stories, but I was really good at making them up. I had a very vivid imagination. When I was in sixth grade we traded teachers once a day in our teeny country school (I graduated in a class of fifty-two) and I was introduced to the world of creative writing by Mr. Trokey. I was very much taken in when he told me I had a knack for carrying a story line and that someday he knew he’d get the first signed copy of a book I’d written. I really doubt he thought that book would come in the form of an erotic romance. From there I tinkered with writing off and on until my muses went dormant when the children arrived. Apparently crying, screaming babies tend to terrify muses and they flee for the hills at the sound. Then one day I looked up and figured out I had turned forty and my dream was yet to be realized. It was at that point I dusted off the old notebook, found an idea or two and turned them into The Executive Officer’s Wife.

What inspires you to write and why?
Since I write in several sub-genres to include contemporary, erotic, multiple-partners and BDSM inspiration comes from everywhere. People in the malls beware, I sit in those things for hours sometimes observing and developing characters—and I won’t deny that everyone I actually do know has quirks and mannerisms, habits and tastes that make their way into my writing. I also add a healthy dose of personal experience and desires into my writing. Why? Well, everything around me somehow turns into a story. I have a notebook full of ideas waiting in que to be morphed into full blown manuscripts.

What is the best piece of advice you received before you got published?
One of the best pieces of advice I got when I started this journey to publication was write what you know. I’ve been a military wife for fifteen years, and have seen and done it all, been through all it has to offer good and bad. I’ve read a lot of military romances that just leave me wanting. Either the facts aren’t straight or the characters aren’t really in character. I felt that with my knowledge and experience I could do it better. Libby and Chase’s story particularly appealed to me because of all the ugly happenings in the world today, most people don’t know what the families of the armed services go through on any given day. I believe they get a realistic taste of that in The Executive Officer’s Wife yet still get a solid love story with a banging HEA.

Do you have any rituals to start your writing day?
Not particularly. My other job as VP of Business Affairs at Rebel Ink Press usually takes up my morning hours then once I’m caught up there, I’m transported into my fantasy world where Doms, Mistresses, Marines and damsels in distress run amok. My muses are pretty fickle. Depending on their moods that day dictates what I work on and for how long. Now I was asked recently if I have any strange rituals---the answer is a resounding yes. Well, some may not find it strange. I have a habit of going to the think tank—ie bubble bath—whenever I’m struggling with a scene. Time of day is no deciding factor and I’ve been known to sit in the blessed thing more than once a day if need be.

What are you currently writing?
Currently I’m working on a ménage piece entitled Three for Keeps. Zoey Matthews is our heroine and she’s been in love with three men, Dane, Jack and Ryan ever since the social services lady dropped her off at her new home on a back country road miles from nowhere at age ten and they were her only playmates. After a ten year absence with little contact with them, she’s back and playing for keeps. One way or the other, she’s going home with at least one of her men if she has to settle. There’s plenty of conflict and loads of HOT sex…

How do you find your names?
Several ways. I usually decide what ethnicity my characters are then go from there researching names in that particular facet, always keeping in mind what characteristics my characters hold. For instance, in my novel Bound by Trust, my hero is a mix of Irish and Native American, he’s also Catholic. His one mission in the novel is help Madi heal, therefore he was named Rafe, short for Raphael—one of the archangels obviously. Lately I’ve taken to finding unusual names. Everywhere I eat out or purchase something I glance at the associate’s name tag and see if they sport an outside the box name.

What is the most interesting piece of research you’ve done so far?
All the research I’ve put into understanding the BDSM lifestyle would be first on the list. I’ve met some very interesting people that way and I’ve learned a lot about me. I’ve also interviewed strippers for my upcoming series The Sergeants of Echo Company. Had a blast doing that. I’m a hands on girl. Why sit behind this computer 24/7 and try to dabble and find when there’s a whole world out there chock full of live people to play with and learn from?

(I think I'm going to be asking you some questions about that later!)

Do you include your life experiences in your books?
To a degree. And I’ll confess that each of my characters carry a bit of my personality or a problem I’ve struggled with at some point in my life.

Who is your favourite author and why?
I get asked that a lot and to be honest the answer is I have many. My tastes are all over the place. For a short list we’ll go with this: Maya Banks, Cherise Sinclair, Loralei James and Julianne MacLean for my historical fix.

What do you do to relax?
Aside from my numerous bubble baths, I read a lot, I like museums and aquariums and I live a hop, skip and jump away from the beach.

Where can we find you on the web?
You can find me at my website Realmantic Moments at http://lilamunro.weebly.com I’m also on Facebook.



Lila's Bio: Lila Munro currently resides on the coast of North Carolina. She’s a military wife and takes much of her inspiration for her heroes from the marines she’s lived around for the past fourteen years. Coining the term realmantica, she strives to produce quality romance in a realistic setting. Her genre of choice is contemporary romance that spans everything from the sensual to BDSM and ménage. When she’s not writing, she enjoys reading everything she can get her hands on, trips to the museum and aquarium, taking field research trips, and soaking up the sun on the nearby beaches. She’s a member in good standing with RWA and Passionate Ink. She loves to hear from her readers and can be contacted via her website http://lilamunro.weebly.com , her joint effort website or through Facebook at http://www.facebook.com/Lila_Munro  You can also contact her via email at lilasromance@gmail.com  


The Executive Officer's Wife can be found at All Romance eBooks



Blurb:
Target: Libby Calhoun. She’s independent and strong-willed, the daughter of a near infamous Marine Corps sniper. Libby’s been raised by the resident housekeeper, has learned to take care of herself over the years and doesn’t take crap off anyone. She’s also sassy and pretty darn cute. After one failed marriage she’s not in the market for love, a husband or any semblance of children. One night of hot sex should do it but that pesky situation with her father is making that near impossible.

Security Agent: Chase Wayland. He’s not looking for love either but his golden-eyes sure can lure a girl in. Chase is a former Marine turned owner of his own security firm. He also has a failed marriage under his belt and trust isn’t in his vocabulary. There’s only one way in Chase’s world and that’s his way, whether anyone else agrees or not.

Can these two live under the same roof after the incident? Chase seems to think so, as long as they ignore each other, play by his strict 'business only' policy and he makes Libby hate him. Libby thinks so, too, but she wants to do things her way. And her way means Chase’s resolve to be a good guy will be stretched to its limits, especially when she takes to the town in her red boots…

Excerpt:
"It’s probably going to be hard to get that jar filled on this side of the bar," Chase said, his attention back on her. His eyes roamed her from head to toe leaving a path of flames licking along Libby’s skin. She hoped her outfit was driving him crazy. "Need any help?"

"Not from you," she snapped. It was then she noticed Trent and Phil at the end of the bar watching with what seemed to her to be pure amusement. What’s good for the goose is good for the gander. "Kandy, can you take this one out for me?"

Libby left the tray and turning on her heel, she headed for the karaoke stage. Grabbing the microphone that started her troubles with Chase in the first place, she returned to the bar and climbed on top of it.

"Good evening gentlemen," Libby said in the most sultry voice she could summon. Seductively strolling along the bar’s length, she was greeted with whistles and barks. "You all know my bodyguard by now I’m sure." She pointed at Chase with the mic. "A few weeks ago he answered a challenge to fill my jar. Well tonight he’s challenged me. He seems to think that I can’t fill it working the floor."

Booing and groaning erupted as Libby watched Chase scowl at her and adjust his Stetson even higher. He looked up at her and took a visible breath.

"Last time I believe you all wasted your hard earned pay so he’d be able to, what was it? Dance with me, I believe? That won’t be happening this time. Tonight I’m up for auction. It’s payday, fellas, so dig deep. Whoever wins won’t be paying for someone else to hold me." Libby finished her little speech and smirked at Chase.

Murray shook his head and Chase took a seat on the stool next to where Libby stood. Murmurs ran through the bar as guys counted, and in some cases pooled, their funds. She knew not one of them that would actually take her up on the holding her bit except maybe the new Lieutenant who didn’t know any better.

"Now then, who’ll start?" Silence ensued. "Come on, don’t be shy. You all know what this jar’s for. Okay. How about fifty dollars? Anyone?" Libby prompted, shaking her hips.

"I’ve got fifty," one of the enlisted men shouted from a corner.

"A hundred….one-fifty over here…" And it went on and on until finally the new Lieutenant stood on his table and exuberantly shouted, "One thousand dollars!"

Everyone grew silent. Libby looked down at Chase and saw the agitation churning in his eyes.
Standing up, he stared Milner down as he crossed his arms over his puffed up chest and calmly proclaimed, "Five thousand dollars."

Libby’s mouth fell open and she dropped her hands to her sides. No one could top that. He wasn’t supposed to win.

When all the mumbling died down and no one challenged Chase’s outlandish bid, he coolly turned, took her by the waist and lifted her down from the bar. "I’ll go to the bank in the morning and get the money." He slipped two fingers in her front pocket retrieving her car keys, burning her with the golden inferno in his eyes. Finding them after grazing the edge where her panties stopped and her skin started, he tossed them at Phil. "Drive her car home."

Leaning over, Chase placed his shoulder at her waist, grabbed her by the legs and hoisted her up and over his back. With her dangling over his muscular shoulders, begging to be put down after realizing her plan had backfired, he strode across the floor and out the door. A sickening round of Ooh-rah’s followed them.

With her still draped over him like a sack of potatoes, Chase retrieved his keys from his front pocket, unlocked the SUV and opened her door. He dumped her into the passenger’s seat and began the arduous task of getting her safely buckled up over her wiggling and insults.

"You big jackass, what was that in there anyway," Libby said, trying to pull his hands off the seatbelt. "Why do you have to be so damn pigheaded? Did you think someone could actually snatch me away with three hundred marines watching?"

Sweeping her hands away, Chase continued to work at the buckle. "I’m pigheaded? That pot’s as black as pitch. And as a matter of fact, if Corporal Bevins is any indication as to their protective capabilities, I have no doubt someone would be able to haul you away right under their noses. As I recall, he let you float upstairs with a perfect stranger."

"So we’re back to that again?" Libby clipped.

"Yes, back to that," Chase said harshly. "It was that that got us in this predicament in the first place."

"Is it the fact that it happened or the fact it hasn’t happened since that’s the problem?" she spat, still trying to push his hands away from her. "You know, it doesn’t have to be personal. If it was going to end in a couple of days then, why can’t it be that way now? Why can’t we be together as long as we both agree that when you have to go it’s over?" Libby couldn’t believe she was suggesting this when she knew she wanted more. Wouldn’t something be better than nothing?

Chase stopped fighting her hands and just stared at her.

"What?" she finally whispered. "Don’t want your five thousand dollars’ worth?"



1 comment: