Wednesday, 25 April 2012

Movies I adore: The Princess Bride

In 1991, my ex-husband  and I did a road trip through America. We started in New York, went up into Canada, and back down to Washington. I found two loves on that trip. America - yeah, I don't get your politics, your sports or your religion, but you - I love. I also fell in love with The Princess Bride.

Picture the scene. Two very exhausted people crawl into their hotel room in Gettysburg, knowing they only have a few hours to soak in the history. Desperate for a break, they sit on the bed for fifteen minutes, switching on the TV for some mindless entertainment. A film starts. Neither of them have watched it, but hey, Columbo is in it and that kid from The Wonder Years. Two hours later (adverts people adverts), they stare at each other. They haven't moved an inch. History can wait.

Oh my God. I was in love with Inigo, in love with Fezzig and Vizzini. Westley was gorgeous and I had the hots for Buttercup as well. Rob Reiner created a world I wanted to live in. Before someone picks me up on this... I have read the book as well.
Twenty-one years on, and many many viewings later I am still as entranced by the adventures of Buttercup and Westley. If you don't understand when someone says "Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die." you are missing out on a whole world of swords and fighting, heroes and villains, magic and skullduggery.

I know that I freaked some friends of mine recently when I said I didn't believe in love. I still don't. But The Princess Bride is the closest I will come to the Happy Ever After.

You want a perfect kiss? As you wish.

2 comments: