Thursday, 11 October 2012

The Next Big Thing


The Next Big Thing


I have been invited by Cameron Lawton to discuss my next WiP. I love talking about my writing - needy author you know - so I jumped at the chance. I have several next big things but the one I am working on at the moment is The Sky is Dead.

Here are my answers

What is the working title of your book?

The Sky is Dead. I actually have two stories with that working title but one of them ran full steam ahead.

Where did the idea come from for the book?

You know, I have no idea whatsoever. It just did. Sometimes I get fully formed prologues in my head. The premise of the story is that a man (Dave) finally admits his past to his partner (Jack). That's it really.

What genre does your book fall under?

Contemporary gay romance. My usual genre. Although most of it is set in the early noughties so does that count as historical now?

Which actors would you choose to play your characters in a movie rendition?

Oooh, well. This is very hard for me as I don't watch TV. There are two sets of boys. Danny and Harry, and Dave and Jack. Same people of course. Seriously, it makes sense in my head.



In my head Danny is Wes Ramsey from CSI Miami and Charmed. You have to picture him as an eighteen  year old first of all. The hair has a lot to do with why I picked him.

Wes with long hair, and Wes with a short back and sides.




Harry and Jack... hmmm.... I don't know. Maybe initially he was like Freddie Highmore...



But he grew up to become Liam Neeson.

What??? I can dream...














What is the one-sentence synopsis of your book?

Please tell me the past doesn't matter.


Will your book be self-published or represented by an agency?

I will offer it to Dreamspinner first of all.

How long did it take you to write the first draft of your manuscript?

I'm still writing it so watch this space. I hope to finish it by the end of October so six weeks or so.

What other books would you compare this story to within your genre?

No idea. I write angsty, emotion-driven love stories, but I read completely different books. What do you suggest?

Who or what inspired you to write this book?

The fact that so many LGBT youth are homeless because of their parents' inability to deal with the fact they are gay. The figures and stories make for depressing reading, and as a parent, I don't understand how someone can put their religion over their child.

What else about your book might pique the reader’s interest?

My boy, Danny, is a survivor. He's not a victim at the time we meet him. He's street-wise and does things to survive that we might find distasteful, but he survives. I like him.

Thanks, Cameron. I've enjoyed my quick trip through my WiP.

1 comment:

  1. Great post and really interesting Sue - can't wait to read it.
    Please invite 10 other people to pick up the baton for next week (or as many as you can find) We all need to shout our wares!

    ReplyDelete