Wednesday, 17 October 2012

Wish you were here: Part 1

I am now at the halfway stage in my American holiday. I spent two days near Boston with Sharon, and then onto Atlanta to meet Tom Webb. Tomorrow we leave for Albuquerque and GayRomLit. So far the holiday has been fairly smooth. Fingers crossed for the next five days.

Sharon's cooking is amazing and being made so welcome by her family is an experience I won't forget.  We went for a drive on Saturday evening down to Salisbury beach and enjoyed the sunset. I wish I'd taken more photos of the gorgeous houses in the area.

Me and Sharon on Salisbury Beach

The next part of my stay has been in Atlanta with Tom Webb. He's introduced me to some real Southern cooking. He made me eat grits, MADE me, I tell you.

In his words...  I also "made" her eat fried green tomatoes, sweet potato casserole (which she already has had - some inferior British version), sweet tea SWEET SWEET, the BEST bread pudding, chicken and dumplings, collard greens and cornbread. Oh, and she had never had a cinnamon roll - blasphemy! And she loved...most of it.

I did. Except the sweet tea. Yuk! I liked the unsweetened version. Comes of having a diabetic dad.

I took the day off yesterday to write, and today I acted as a tourist, wandering around Piedmont Park and The World of Coca-Cola. I found a Starbucks (bliss) and crashed there for a while to read and write.

Atlanta from Piedmont Park

A church with the Pride banner still flying
A very bad photo in World of Coca-Cola
We finished off with sushi this evening. Tom and I have yabbered non-stop through the meals. It's been fun.

So to part 2.

Wish you were here too, Sue xx

1 comment:

  1. I am so glad that you were able to spend a few days with us. Next time, you'll need to stay longer so we can do all the touristy things here in New England.

    Have a wonderful time at the conference.

    Hugs & Love,
    Sharon

    ReplyDelete