Monday, 4 March 2013

Sue's Muse: Staring at the Same Four Walls

Many years ago, when my kids were tiddlers, I suffered the isolation that many mums go through, at home instead of at work, and with young kiddies that provide little in the way of company. At that time, I did what many mums do; go to mum and toddlers, playgroups, and meet with other parents just to get some company and social support.

Over a decade has passed, and I've gone past the need to talk about my kids' bowel habits (they'd kill me if I did). I work at home. I have that same sense of isolation without the weekly support to keep my sanity. To replace it, there is Twitter and Facebook. I talk to people all around the world; readers, writers and publishers. Many of whom suffer the same isolated feeling, working on a solo project and having no one to talk to.

That is not to say there are not advantages. My morning commute is as far as the sofa, and my dress code is pyjamas and dressing gown. I set my own hours and if I want to slob out in the morning with a  book, well, no one is going to shout at me. From a parental point of view I'm at home for the kids if they need me. My doggies are not left alone, which gives them company and saves my furniture.

But dammit and all hell, I'm starting to go insane staring at the same four walls. I go to coffee shops an awful lot, Starbucks being a favourite in winter, but I think the garden centre coffee shop might become the new office in summer. I like looking at all the plants I could kill.

I'm not sure what the answer is to the problem of isolation, but I don't want it to tip into depression. The sun was out today and I'm hoping the sunshine will make a difference. I have a lot of weeds to bash if things get bad.

This seems a terribly self-indulgent post. I'll have a glass of wine and move on. I have a book to write and another one to edit. I've got to feed the kids, they tend to get grumpy if I don't.

Au Revoir 

Sue xx

No comments:

Post a Comment