Friday, 23 May 2014

If I hear 'straight women' one more time

I am making this request very nicely.

Because it's driving me fucking insane.

Please could we stop saying 'straight' women when it comes to female authors writing MM romance. We are not all straight. We are lesbian, bisexual, pansexual, asexual, transgender and yes, straight. If I've missed anyone out or used the wrong phrase feel free to correct me.

Whether you like/don't like female authors, I don't care. Just stop lumping us into one group. 

We are female - yes. But not all straight.

EDIT: Lori Toland pointed out that some authors are genderqueer. Thank you!!


7 comments:

  1. I really can't understand what all the fuss is about. I mean J.K Rowling wrote an entire series based on a wizarding world and she is never referred to as a "Muggle", she's simply a writer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's endemic in the genre that only 'straight' women write MM. I get annoyed enough with 'female' being tagged on, but straight makes me see red. J.K. Rowling is lucky if she's just called 'writer'.

      Delete
  2. I got here through a series of links and clicks looking for something else, but I'm glad I found your blog instead. I just had to say THANK YOU for saying this! I've been so upset for the past week, ever since someone took it upon themselves to send me a copy of a recent review--which was SO not a review. More of an attack because I was female and thus, presumed straight & stupid. It's taken everything in me not to respond and defend, but it's just... stupid. Sorry, didn't meant to go on in your thread here. I'm just glad to know that I'm not the only one feeling this way right now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jourdan,
      It's a double-edged insult, isn't it? One, we're not all straight, and secondly, why should being straight affect our ability to write?
      I've been more and more wound up about this for months, hence the short, and not-so-sweet post.

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete