Wednesday, 28 May 2014

My Brain is stuck on Buy my Book.

One of the things that is rammed in the noggins of authors who use social media is that endless BUY MY BOOK  posts/ tweets really annoys people.

I get it. I really do. Sometimes I look at my twitter feed and it looks like a list of Amazon links and I think great, you published a book, but who are you? I like knowing what you've written, but equally I'd like to know what you are interested in, are you having a good writing day, and I admit, I'm a sucker for a dog photo or three.

Social media experts, and I follow a couple on twitter, suggest dropping the books casually into the feed. Find a hook to sell it rather than title, author, amazon link etc.. Use pictures, and let's face it we have pretty boys on our covers to help us sell our wares.

However there are days when my brain can't focus on an interesting promo tag, and the only sentence it can string together is BUY MY BOOK pretty please. My kids will love you forever (I just added that. My kids are too busy playing games on the computer to be of much use).

Tomorrow I promise to have a snappy promotion, and interesting tweets, but today it's stuck on PLEASE BUY MY BOOKS.

Subtle I am not ;)

Good night,
Sue xx




6 comments:

  1. LOL I love this post. And I do.

    As with myself, I try not to overdo it on FB or Twitter but I just had a new release so I'm pushing it. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. We all go through the same thing. don't we? Do we promote too much? Not enough? Someone put up a graph of what happens when he doesn't promote and it is obvious how sales drop away.

    ReplyDelete