Monday, 11 August 2014

Cowardly Sue

*takes a deep breath*

My name is Sue Brown and I am a coward.




There I've said it. I admit I'm scared of almost everything. Crowds, rollercoasters, new situations, travelling, going through security at airport, being lost, opening the post (don't ask), horses (they're BIG), cows (they have an evil eye), spiders, snakes, dentists, the tax man, banks...

There are some things that don't bother me. Writing a book, publishing a book, cleaning (I don't do it therefore it doesn't bother me), driving on motorways.

So why am I admitting this? I'm the first to say you should promote your books but there are two things I can't do without wanting to vomit. One, anything that involves video and the other that involves radio. Other authors seem so relaxed in front of a camera. Me, I want to run into a corner and hide. I once got collared to talk on a CNN piece in a London train station and ran like the wind.



I am an author. I work by myself and I like the quiet. I like talking to people on social media, but I know I can say bye bye and start writing again in peace. I wish radio and video didn't scare me. I wish I was braver. But what the hell, one fence at a time. I've travelled to America by myself, I can deal with a camera... eventually.




4 comments:

  1. I want this t-shirt for my daughter! She's just like you Sue. Scared of almost everything, so you aren't alone! lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not going to blame you for your feelings and you should understand that the best way to promote your writing is to do more of it. Most of the most successful self-publishers I follow say that anything that takes you away from your writing needs to be carefully judged. Now, maybe I believe that because I feel like getting that slogan tattooed on my corpus somewhere, but I don't think that's all of it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm with you Sue. If I had a quarter for how many times I've heard: you're a homebody, you're anti-social, you're a couch potato, you never go anywhere but work, you're a shut-in, all you do is read, etc... I'd be a rich homebody! LOL! Don't worry, be happy! :)

    ReplyDelete