Friday, 31 October 2014

We deserve more

I have something to say.  As I've already written it on my Facebook wall I'm just reposting it here.

I love my genre. In the five years I've been reading and four years I've been writing M/M romance has grown and blossomed into a valid and viable genre of its own. We are professionals and one of the main reasons I love my genre is the friendship and respect we show each other; all of us, whatever gender or sexual orientation. There are tensions, as there are in any community. Sometimes I feel we're always on the defensive. For what we write, for who we are. I'm not going to apologise for the fact I don't take gender-bashing lightly, however it's disguised. Humour is subjective. I get that. A lot of humour flies over my head. But nastiness wrapped up in humour is still nastiness. We don't deserve it. Not the readers, not the writers, not the bloggers.

No comments:

Post a Comment