Friday, 16 January 2015

My Friday: sofa, hot pack and coffee

Only a short post today. Yesterday I had another more extensive biopsy which is to confirm I definitely don't have anything nasty lurking in my boob. It sucked out some of the tissue. I was hoping for a boob reduction but sadly, no luck. Anyway I'm in pain today so I've retreated to the sofa with a hot pack to recover, plenty of coffee and a good book.

New books I have read this week.

Via a recommendation by Clare London, I've read Boystown 1 and 2 by Marshall Thornton. I'm always keen on private investigators and I really enjoyed these Nick Nowak mysteries.


These are based in Chicago in the 1980s. It's pre-AIDS, pre-PC and pre-Internet. It's a different era and Marshall Thornton doesn't pull any punches in the writing. If you want sweet romance these aren't the books for you. If you like gritty stories with a full-on lead who has complicated work and relationship lives, often intertwining, these are definitely the books for you.

Finalist for the Lambda Award in Gay Mystery, Boystown: Three Nick Nowak Mysteries takes place in Chicago during the early 1980s. Haunted by his abrupt departure from the Chicago Police Department and the end of his relationship with librarian Daniel Laverty, Nick Nowak is a beat cop-turned-dogged private investigator. In this first book of the series, Nick works through three cases: a seemingly simple missing persons search, an arson investigation, and a suicide that turns out to be anything but. While working the cases, Nick moves through a series of casual relationships until he meets homicide detective Bert Harker and begins a tentative relationship. 

Animal of the day - giraffes. Just because they make me giggle.

1 comment:

  1. Glad to hear this news! And great recommendations. More for the TBR pile. :)

    ReplyDelete