Tuesday, 20 January 2015

Pirate Dick

Why do you pirate our books?

Because you like something for nothing. Because you don't value what we do. Because you're a dick?

Who knows. The losers are authors. People like me and my kids. Our only household income derives from my royalties.

You steal my books. You steal the food off my plate.

You don't care. I know.

There seems to be this misconception that we authors make so much money from our writing that the pirate copies don't matter. They do. Every single last copy downloaded from Pirate Dick makes a difference to my household. I am not writing in a big genre. I sell tens of books, not hundreds or thousands or I wish, millions.

I'm not going to deny that I hate and despise all the Pirate Dicks, and despise those for looking for a free ride.

I'm posting two blogs here. One from RJ Scott on this very subject of piracy and one from Aleksandr Voinov on why he doesn't sell books for 99c. Why? Because books are priced as they are for a reason.

There we are. Not sugar coated. Not allowing for justifications for piracy. This is me, being honest.

Sue 

2 comments:

  1. I released a Xmas short 2 years ago and still haven't made the initial outlay back yet.

    ReplyDelete