Saturday, 25 July 2015

The Island Doctor: Isle#5

The last few weeks I've been writing up a storm with The Island Doctor, a spin-off from my Isle series. I'm thrilled to say Dreamspinner accepted my submission and it will be published at the start of 2016.
All our Isle boys are in there, although two of the couples are having a rough time at the moment. Yes, I'm sorry, *hangs head*, you know what I'm like with throwing in a little angst. But I promise to make it up as the series goes on. All my boys get a Happy Ever After - eventually.

A draft blurb for Island Doctor:

Dr Jeff Martin has spent five years as a GP on the Isle of Wight, hiding the fact he is gay, and spends most of his free time travelling to see his partner. Then he discovers Tris is cheating on him and walks out on their relationship. Jeff meets Cameron Gillard, the great-grandson of a patient, who decides to introduce Jeff to a new life on the island. Cameron is down to earth, lively, and treats Jeff like he’s the most important thing in Cameron’s life. Starved of affection for years, Jeff blooms under Cameron’s attention, coming out to his colleagues and making friends with other gay men on the island.

Then Tris reappears in Jeff’s life. Jeff is not interested in Tris, but it seems like he has two men to convince. Tris who can’t believe Jeff is walking out of his life, and Cameron who is jealous of Tris. The one thing Jeff is convinced about is that the only man in his life is Cameron. Now he just has to convince Cameron.


And this is an unedited excerpt from near the beginning,

“Doc, wake up.”
Jeff opened his eyes to see Cameron staring at him, an amused expression on his face. “Huh?”
“They’ve just called for people to return to their cars.”
Jeff sat up and ran his hands through his hair. “I fell asleep?”
Cameron’s lips twitched. “Like a baby.”
“Did I snore?”
“Not once I nudged you.” Cameron burst out laughing at Jeff’s look of horror. “Don’t panic, doc. You were fine. I did have to fend off a few people who wanted to talk to you.”
“Thanks,” Jeff said gratefully. The call to return to cars came again and Jeff got to his feet. “Do you want a lift anywhere?”
“I was going to phone my mum.”
Jeff raised an eyebrow.
“Yeah, why not.” Cameron grabbed his backpack and followed Jeff back to his car. Jeff smirked as he noticed Cameron patting Daisy before he got in.
They settled in Jeff’s car waiting for the ferry to dock.
“I thought you were going to your girlfriend’s,” Cameron said after the silence stretched just a little too long.
“I was, I did,” Jeff said grimly. “We split up.” He gave himself credit for remembering the fake girlfriend this time.
Cameron turned to him, concern written all over his face. “Hey, man, I’m sorry.”
“I’m sorry too.”
“Was it bad?”
“He… she was cheating on me.”
“Jesus!”
Jeff shrugged as nonchalantly as he could. “It happens.”
“Gran said you’d been together a long time.”
“A decade.” Ten years of his life spent with that lying, cheating bastard.
Cameron nodded. “You okay?”
“No,” Jeff admitted, “but I will be.”
“Gran’ll be disappointed. I swear she was hoping for an invitation to the wedding.”
Jeff gave a bark of laughter. “I hate to disappoint her but that was never going to happen.” He started the engine and followed the car in front as they slowly drove off the ferry.
“What was his name?”
“Tris.” Jeff said it without thinking. “Trisha. I….”
“S’okay. You don’t have to pretend.”
Jeff looked at Cameron quickly. “How did you know?”
Cameron shrugged. “I just did. Your secret’s safe with me. I’m gay too.”
“You are?” How had Jeff missed it? Considering Cameron set his hornydar pinging it was pretty stupid of him to have missed the fact that Cameron was as queer as he was.
“Since the day I watched Lance Bass on TV and discovered the use of cushions.”

No comments:

Post a Comment