Monday, 31 August 2015

Diana: A Lifetime Ago

It seems unbelievable that is it eighteen years since Diana, the Princess of Wales, was killed in a horrific car crash in the Pont de l'Alma tunnel in Paris.

I remember the time clearly because it was just after my daughter was born. I watched the endless TV reports about her death and her funeral, tears rolling down my face as I thought about two boys losing their mother. Raging hormones did nothing to quell my anguish for them.

Eighteen years on and my daughter has just left school. William has his own family. Harry is... Harry.

It seems unreal that neither of my kids remember Diana, or the effect she had on a nation. She brought glamour and colour and her death devastated many. I remember my sister joining the queues to lay flowers. It was the first time I saw the UK in mourning.



I don't think anyone would realise the effect she had on the Royal Family. She shook up their stuffy public image.

Diana wasn't perfect but she was the face of a nation for sixteen years. Looking at the news articles today I remember the effect of her death on me.


Rest easy, Diana. You produced fine boys.

No comments:

Post a Comment