Friday, 11 September 2015

Missing Fanfiction Days

This week I had the pleasure of a discussion about fanfiction over dinner with three of my favourite ladies. 

We'd all come from fanfiction, albeit vastly different fandoms. We talked about the sheer joy of writing fanfic. Putting the kids to bed and writing late into the night to get the next chapter finished. I loved writing a chapter at a time, posting it and getting the comments and feedback. That instant buzz was something I really missed when I started original fiction.

This is the moment I discovered fanfiction. The two Captain Jack's dancing together.

Fandom on LiveJournal was a revelation. So many people discussing their favourite actors (or whatever the fandom), arguing episodes, overthinking way too much on every wink, every look across the crowded room from the OTP (one true pairing). I finally felt at home there for the first time in years and I loved slash. I read fanfic way before I even watched many of the programmes. Some of the authors were the best I've ever read, especially from the Supernatural fandom.

This still remains one of my favourite Jensen and Jared pictures.

It's been years since I was in a fandom. Too many things took over and I found my replacement community on Facebook, but I haven't forgotten the friends I made, or the words that poured out of me like nothing would stop them. I miss that brief period of time. I miss those words...

1 comment:

  1. I know what you mean. When I wrote fanfic, I was writing the equivalent of a novella a month. There's an addictive quality to writing fanfic--comments are the currency of fandom and seeing that hit count and comment number rise is a very heady feeling.

    I think part of the reason it was so easy was that we loved the characters and had a built-in audience. Readers were pre-disposed to love our stories and there was very little pressure. It was like riding a bicycle with training wheels on. Once we took those wheels off, it got a lot harder. And once we began writing original stories, and we got paid in money versus comments, the world began to seem like a colder place.

    My fandoms have more or less closed now, and there's very little activity. LJ is a ghost town, and the active fandoms seem to have migrated to platforms where I don't understand the rules and it's hard to interact. I mourn the joy and camaraderie of my former fandoms, but I no longer wish to be so completely consumed by fandom anymore, either. I used to wish desperately for a new fandom to catch my fancy--now I actively avoid them.

    I do miss the ease with which the words came back then, though. :-)

    ReplyDelete