Wednesday, 13 January 2016

David Bowie: Touching My World At A Distance

Unless you've been leaving under a rock the sad death of David Bowie this week will come as no surprise. I was never a huge fan of Bowie but he was local to my part of London and a huge influence on Japan, the band I would have given my left unicorn to meet. I may not have been a fan but that doesn't mean he hasn't been part of my entire musical life and that's something I truly value.  


BBC article 

He touched my world by influencing the music that I loved, the TV that I watched (Life on Mars and Ashes to Ashes), the music for the mini-series from the books that I read - did you ever see the Buddha of Surburbia?

One thing I guess I should mention is his bisexuality, that he denied in later years. I don't know if he was or not, but gay friends have mentioned he was a role model for them in teenage years. Having a famous non-straight face in the seventies must have been like the unicorn mentioned earlier.

Rest easy, Mr Bowie. Your influence will be missed.

No comments:

Post a Comment