Sunday, 3 July 2016

"Where do you see yourself in five years time, Mum?"

Today I took my son to Epsom Downs. We got lunch from the cafe, sat in the car, and looked at the families and dogs enjoying the sunshine.

"Where do you see yourself in five years time, Mum?"

Halfway through lunch my son asked this question. I bet an hour later he wished he'd kept his mouth shut. I've had a lot of thoughts about my future recently, and it came out as verbal diarrhoea. The thing is, my friends, I have a road to follow, but I'm not sure which road. I'm pretty sure I've mentioned this before. I have taken so many paths over the last few years.


Ten years ago I hadn't yet had my epiphany moment watching Torchwood. I hadn't written my first slash ficlet. I hadn't discovered that maybe I wasn't as straight as I thought I was. I hadn't watched Supernatural. I hadn't pulled up my big girl panties and submitted my first story to Dreamspinner. I hadn't started my Theology degree. I hadn't... bloody hell, there are so many things I hadn't done ten years ago.

Five years ago I'd done all of the above and now, it's time to take a new series of firsts. I want to step a toe into a new genre with a brand new series, pay off my debts because they give me sleepless nights, run another 10k race (I might be pushing it with that one), devote time to finishing off my crime series, maybe have a date or three. I definitely want to finish White Collar because Matt Bomer... And one day, I want to start my MPhil.

So there I am telling my son about my plans, and he's got that glazed look in his eyes. Next time, my boy, tell me what it is you really want to know, but thank you for giving me the opportunity to babble.






  

6 comments:

  1. I'm in awe of you, lady, I really am. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It all sounds great! Good luck with all of it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good for you! My personal mantra is 'It's never too late to be what you might have been' and if we don't try, we'll never know exactly where the limits to our potential lie, if they even exist. Good luck with all your endeavours, may they exceed your expectations.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a great mantra. The greatest regret of my life is that I didn't try xyz. I may be too old to do xyz, but I'm certainly going to try abc.

      Delete