Monday, 26 September 2016

Being Happy: My Writing Retreat

Sunrise over Steephill Cove by Jason Dean

I'm away this week at my favourite place in the whole wide world, the Isle of Wight. This is probably the first time for ages I'm not here for 'research', for the Isle series. I'm on a writing retreat for a week, with K.C. Wells and our friend, Jason, in Steephill Cove.


Thanks to K.C., I've finally managed to a) stay in the Lighthouse, b) go on a writing retreat, and c) write in the place that gives me inspiration. Steephill Cove kickstarts my mojo in a way nowhere else does. Facebook has reminded me this week that I was here just a year ago, with K.C. Believe me, if I could, I would live here every day.



Just sitting listening to the waves, I managed to create the plot for Alpha Barman I'd been stuck on for a month. I won't take a photograph of the spiral plotline I drew because my writing looks like a drunk spider wandered over the page.

I have eaten and written and drunk (a lot) and written and walked and written, and yes, even played Pokemon Go and written. Can you tell how happy this makes me?


Jason and K.C, are very easy-going companions. We all have our need to decompress here, and this is the perfect time. Writing becomes a joy, not a chore. 


By the end of the week I hope to have kicked Alpha Barman into touch, and have something concrete to show my editor when I get back. In the meantime, I'll keep posting the photos and tell you all about my week. Sorry, so not sorry.





2 comments: