Tuesday, 15 November 2016

A Week of Not Writing

Seven days ago part of the America electorate voted for Donald Trump as their next president. I've made no secret that I feel the same way about this as I do about the Brexit vote. What the Hell??? My opinion, free speech and all that.

Everything that needs to be said, has been articulated by far better men and women than me. When I get upset/annoyed/angry/confused, my ability to write vanishes. I can't articulate those emotions in blogs, I can't write fiction, and it's so damn frustrating. My mind does that WTF WTF WTF swirl and nothing gets processed.

I want to thank SFF author, Mary Robinette Kowal, for her wise words on the subject.




I know the words will return in their own time, and I'll be able to articulate my feelings without the eff word peppering the sentences. In the meantime, the eighties muzak continues to play in my head.


3 comments:

  1. Sue, your mind and soul were telling you they both needed space so you could recover a little. I was pretty much non-functional from Wednesday right through to today - although I'm actually much better, now that I look back at it.

    Your heart will tell you when it's time to go back to writing...hang in there and get outside if the weather is clement...of course, that's my cure for anything short of pneumonia, but it works...it truly does... :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm taking the dogs for plenty of walks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I took one day off writing because I just couldn't. But then I forced myself to go back to it. Not (just) because I happen to be doing NaNoWriMo and do like to get those 50k words written. I mean, in the greater scheme of things that counts for very little. But I've discovered in the past that if I allow my mind to continuously dwell on what's wrong (be it personal or in the world at large), I stop functioning and run the risk of thinking myself into a depression. So I wrote to distract myself when the real world got too much to deal with. I have no doubt a great number of the words I wrote since last Wednesday will end up on the cutting room floor, but that's okay. They allowed me to keep my sanity and that makes them special. In the end we all need to do whatever is best for us; there are no general rules because we're all individuals. I just hope that you'll be able to find comfort again soon, be it with or through writing or otherwise.

    ReplyDelete