Wednesday, 28 December 2016

Carrie Fisher and the Tweet

This year have been more than a fair share of deaths of movie and TV actors, and pop stars, this year. I think it's fair to say we're starting to feel battered by their deaths, day after day. Who do we wake up to next? Many, like George Michael, were part of my youth. He was 53, I'm nearly 50. I feel more vulnerable with his passing.

Yesterday's sadness has left social media in meltdown. Carrie Fisher, the irrepressibly, outspoken actress and author, the iconic Princess Leia Organa in the Star Wars franchise, passed away several days after her cardiac arrest on a plane last week.

Of course, what made me shed tears was not the eulogies by shocked Twitter users, but the simple tweets from the account of Gary, her dog.



Of course, she was so much more than that. To Star Wars fans everywhere, she will be forever Princess Leia. To others she was General Organa from the latest films in the franchise. 



I suppose I remember Carrie really from the eighties and nineties as an actress in some of my favourite films, When Harry Met Sally and The Blues Brothers. After that I was running a business and bringing up kids, and I didn't really pay attention to Hollywood for a long time. For me, Carrie emerged again relatively recently as a brilliant guest on The Last Leg.


I also discovered this week Carrie was a kickass script doctor in the 1990s; responsible for movies such as Sister Act, The Wedding Singer, Lethal Weapon 3, and Hook. It grieves me that I learned so much about Carrie in her illness and death. Isn't that always the way? You find out who the real person is after their death? This certainly true for George Michael. Social Media has been talking about his secret generosity all week

Carrie was also an advocate for mental health, open about her diagnosis of bipolar disorder and her addictions to cocaine and prescription medication.
Recently, a young actor at a party complimented actress turned novelist- screenwriter Carrie Fisher on her career transition, saying, "Gee, it must be great now that you are a writer. Now you get to call the shots.""Not really," she replied, "but at least I get to fill some of the syringes." Read more here.

I don't know who is your Carrie, but I'm a middle-aged woman who loves dogs. Every time I saw Carrie with Gary it made me smile. I could relate to the two of them. Okay, she was a movie star and author, but she didn't look impossible perfect like some movie stars; primped, toned and plucked. Carrie looked as she was, a middle-aged woman who loved her therapy dog, Gary, a French Bulldog.
If I could grow up to be like her, the world would have to duck. Carrie had a wicked sense of humour and she didn't pull her punches at all. Is it okay to feel a tad sorry for Harrison Ford here?


Today I bought The Princess Diarist to learn more about the woman behind the dog-lover, the buns and the bikini. I don't know enough about Carrie Fisher, and that is a real shame.
.

No comments:

Post a Comment