Friday, 23 December 2016

Confessions of a Self-Help Addict

I spend a lot of time reading marketing posts and how-to-make-your-first-million-by-following-this-one-simple-trick blogs. I spend way more time than I should on these self-help blogs.

*hangs head* My name is Sue, I have an addiction.

In the eighties and nineties, I read the self-help books by the big names like Zig Ziglar and Dale Carnegie. I think I still have a stack on them in a box in my loft. Come on, I did Amway. These books were our manuals on how-to. I read them every day, and promised faithfully to put their rules into practice. And I did... for about an hour. I had notebooks and charts and plans, and that was as far as it got.

The blogs posts have replaced the books, but the ideas are still the same.


  • 10 tips leaders of industry follow


  • How to get motivated


  • How not to be distracted (by blog posts like these).


Have you read these posts? I have, by the ton. Always in hope of the nugget of information that is new, different, exciting, and will transform how I market myself and my books.

One of the things I have noticed is the way they recommend successful bloggers. I click the link in breathless anticipation. To find they are selling more of the same. I huff and get annoyed, but fifteen minutes later, and two cups of coffee, I'm still reading the blog. Yes, the notebook is at hand.

This is work I tell myself. It's research on selling my books. I keep telling myself that, because really I just love the breathless anticipation of what-might-be from each word.

2 comments:

  1. It's good to see I'm not alone in this. The husband and I did Amway for a short while too. It's not surprising we failed; I couldn't sell water to the dehydrated. But I did read all those books, and I summarised them. Somewhere in my house are binders filled with those summaries, all typed out and printed, probably never to be looked at again. Did you also get addicted to the Oprah seasons that were all about living your best life? I recorded those and wrote them out, word for word. And yes, those transcripts are still around too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You sound so like me! I didn't do Oprah but I did spend a fortune on all those Amway cassettes.

      Delete