Friday, 24 March 2017

Review of Beauty and the Beast


I took the kids to see the live action Beauty and the Beast, or rather they agreed to accompany me, because Beauty and the Beast is my favourite Disney animation and I bribed them. It was a lovely movie, but... there is definitely a but.

There are many good things about this movie, not least the gorgeous set and costumes. I loved the songs including the additional ones. Of the characters, we loved the Beast (even more so, since I discovered Dan Stevens performed the whole thing on stilts), Gaston and LeFou. I loved the CGI for the wolves but the teapot and cup freaked me out. My biggest disappointment was Emma Watson. I have much respect for her but she has no charisma as Belle. None. Nada.

The gay moment. If this hadn't been mentioned it would have been a blink and you miss it scene. However, I did watch, and LeFou carried it off beautifully. I would love a more honest gay character, but if this creates a daft boycott, anything else would get the One Million Mums really riled up.

What did this production teach me? Just how much they were all spoiled brats. This cartoon sums up how I feel.

https://onsizzle.com/i/there-goes-the-baker-with-his-tray-like-always-there-2067843
I never really appreciated just how unlikable and manipulative all the characters are. Belle does nothing but whine about her life and everyone in the village. The villagers hate anyone 'other'. Lumière and all the castle staff are just trying to manipulate Belle to break the spell. I liked the Beast. At least he was an honest asshole.

I was a little disappointed. I think I'll watch the cartoon again.


No comments:

Post a Comment