Sunday, 18 June 2017

Review: The Mystery of Nevermore by C.S. Poe

Buylinks: DSP Publications, Amazon, Audiobook

It’s Christmas, and all antique dealer Sebastian Snow wants is for his business to make money and to save his floundering relationship with closeted CSU detective Neil Millett. When Snow’s Antique Emporium is broken into and a heart is found under the floorboards, Sebastian can’t let the mystery rest.

He soon finds himself caught up in murder investigations that echo the macabre stories of Edgar Allan Poe. To make matters worse, Sebastian’s sleuthing is causing his relationship with Neil to crumble, while at the same time he’s falling hard for the lead detective on the case, Calvin Winter. Sebastian and Calvin must work together to unravel the mystery behind the killings, despite the mounting danger and sexual tension, before Sebastian becomes the next victim.

In the end, Sebastian only wants to get out of this mess alive and live happily ever after with Calvin.

Book Review: ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Audiobook Review: ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

I bought the audiobook of The Mystery of Neverwhere because the title intrigued me, and I've been anxious to find a new amateur sleuth to keep me entertained on long journeys. I am unfamiliar with the narrator, Derrick McClain, but once I'd got my head around his voices, I happily settled into the story. He doesn't 'act' as much as other narrators, but his style suited this plot.

The protagonists are an antiques dealer and a sexy homicide detective. Sebastian Snow has a condition which is fascinating in the way it affects his life and how he sees Detective Calvin Winter. It made an interesting twist on a standard premise. I'm not going to give it away as it's not in the blurb, but it kept me intrigued throughout the book. I was pleased on how the author handled the boyfriend issue.

I usually have an issue with plots that use literary references. Sometimes I feel the author is so pleased with their cleverness, it loses me as a reader. In this instance I think the author handled it well.

I liked the secondary characters, particularly Sebastian's dad, and the world-building. We don't really get much snow where I live, so I sighed a little at the thought of snow at Christmas.

I'm going to have to mention Josh Lanyon's Adrien English series. Yes, there are similarities. No, it didn't bother me. Nerdy sleuth and homicide detective is a common trope. C.S. Poe has a strong enough voice to make this series all her own.

A thoroughly enjoyable book with enough twists and turns to keep me coming back for more.




1 comment:

  1. I'm LISA from RENO, I never believed in Spells until I met this special
    spell caster called DR KEN. The man i wanted to marry left me
    3 months to our wedding ceremony and my life was upside down.
    he was with me for 4 years and i really love him so much..he
    left me for another woman with no reasons..when i called him,
    he never picked up my calls and he don't want to see me around him…so,
    when i told the man what happened. he helped me to do some readings,
    and after the readings he made me to realize that the other woman has
    done some spells over my Husband and that is the reason why he left me.
    .he told me he will help me to cast a spell to bring him back. At first
    i was skeptical but i just gave it a try…In 4 days, My Husband called me
    himself and came to me apologizing..I cant believe he can ever come back
    to me again but now i am happy he's back and we are married now and we
    live as a happy family..Am posting this to the forum if anyone needs
    the help of this great spell caster.you Can contact him through this email address :
    greatdrkenspelltemple@gmail.com or call/whatapp him on +2348104557346

    ReplyDelete